- Development of new analytical applications
- Study of clay minerals exfoliation
- Intercalation of clay minerals and their utilization as sorbents for wastewater treatment
The department provides following analyses:
- preparation of analytical samples for evaluation of environmental impacts of wastes and potential release of metals into food chain (e.g. atmospheric and high pressure extractions using various extraction agents),
- low and high pressure mineralization of solid and liquid samples,
- physical sample adjustment (homogenization, separation, milling),
- determination of selected physical-chemical parameters of liquid samples (pH, conductivity, acidity, alkalinity, oxidizability, hardness, etc.)
- elemental chemical analysis of solid samples (humidity, sieve analysis, non-soluble fraction, etc.)
- qualitative analysis of major and minor elements,
- quantitative analysis of major, minor and trace elements in liquid and solid samples (waters, water extracts, acid extracts, waste materials, ashes, soils, metal bearing materials based on Fe, selected non-metal alloys),
- chemical analysis of fuels (forms of sulphur, ash, etc.),
- chemical analýsis of construction materials (cements, limestones, gyps, concrete, gravel) according to valid regulations.
Laboratory of atomic absorption spectroscopy:
Atomic absorption spectrometer with flame atomization. Double beam one-channel absorption spectrometer equipped with microprocessor enables elemental analysis of Al, Ag, As, Ba, Be, Ca, Cd, Cr, Co, Cu, Fe, K, Mg, Mn, Na, Ni, Pb, Sb, Sn, Si, Ti, Tl, V and Zn in liquid samples at concentration level of mg/l.
UNICAM 989 QZ
Atomic absorption spectrometer with electrothermic atomization. Double beam one channel absorption spectrometer with deuterium and Zeeman background correction, equipped with video camera for observation of processes in graphite furnace and complemented with continual hydrides generator. It enables analysis of Al, Ag, As, Ba, Be, Cd, Cr, Co, Cu, Fe, Hg, Mn, Ni, Pb, Sb, Sn, Si, Ti, Tl and V in liquid samples in the concentration level of mg/l.
Atomic absorption spectrometer for determination of Hg. Content of Hg in solid and liquid samples can be measured without prior preparation of sample – mineralization, etc. Due to the technique of gas Hg generation with subsequent capturing on gold amalgam, an extra sensitivity and independence of obtained results on sample matrix are achieved.
UV/VIS spectrophotometer for visible and UV spectral range (200 – 900 nm), with grating monochromator; deuterium and halogen lamps, is suitable for analysis of water solutions.
Laboratory of atomic emission spectroscopy
Atomic emission spectrometer with inductively coupled plasma (Jobin Yvon, France) equipped with Ar/Ar plasma torch unit and torch unit for gaseous hydride technique. The instrument is suitable for analysis of 69 elements in wide concentration range including both matrix and trace elements.
SPECTRO VISION EOP
Atomic emission spectrometer with inductively coupled plasma. Simultaneous instrument with axialy located Ar/Ar plasma torch unit equipped with atomising systems enabling analysis of drinking water, liquid samples with high concentration of salts, and samples containing hydrofluoric acid. Very low concentrations can be measured using sonic atomizing system. Optical system is enclosed and saturated with Ar, which is being automatically purified. The instrument measures in the wavelength range of 120 – 800 nm and thus allows analysis of 72 elements. Big advantage is relatively low sample volume needed for analysis (approx. 5 ml) for obtaining the spectra. Determination of concentrations at micrograms level is suitable for trace elements analysis. The instrument is fully automated.
Laboratory of infrared spectroscopy
FTIR 2000 PERKIN ELMER
Infrared spectrometer with Fourier transformation. Michelson interferometer and DTGS detector enable qualitative analysis of solild and liquid samples. The instrument is suitable for analysis of organic matter, selected inorganic anions, analysis of oils, silicates, etc.
Laboratory of samples preparation
High-pressure filtation device for extracts preparation from analysed materials
Microwave digestion system with scattered radiation
Digestion system PERKIN-ELMER allows samples mineralization in open and high-pressure regime up to the pressure of 100 atm. Mineralization can be performed up to temperature of 250°C.