Research of friction materials
- Development and optimizing of chemical, structure, and phase analyses methods for testing of friction composites and evaluation of wear materials,
- development of testing approaches for assessment of mechanical properties of friction composites,
- investigation of enviromental impact of wear particles released during braking,
- evaluation of reactions of friction materials with water and solution of salts and their impact on performance,
- technology of friction composites preparation,
- optimization of friction materials composition.
Layered silicates – natural and synthetic
- development and optimization of XRF method for elemental analysis of natural and modified silicates,
- Development and optimization of scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and X-ray microanalysis for characterization of silicates.
The department provides following analyses:
- Qualitative and quantitative analysis of solid and liquid samples using x-ray fluorescence spectrometry (soils, geological materials, coal, ashes, fly ashes, slags, coal-tars, wastes oils and other solid and liquid wastes),
- study of samples surface, surface microanalysis, and distribution analysis of elements on materials surface using SEM with microanalyser,
- mechanical properties testing of friction materials being used in brake systems of passenger cars at different ambient conditions,
- sampling and emissions measurements at point sources
- mechanical adjustment of samples (crushing, milling, homogenization, quartation, sieving)
Laboratory of x-ray flourescence spectrometry:
Energy dispersive spectrometer with Rh X-ray tube enables non-destructive qualitative and quantitative elemental analysis of solid, liquid and paste samples in Na – U range. The instrument is equipped with Rh – X-ray lamp (2 kW, water cooling) and Si (Li) detector cooled with liquid nitrogen.
SPECTRO XEPOS new
Energy dispersive spectrometer with Pd – X-ray lamp (50 W, air cooling); primary X-rays are modified with polarization targets (HOPG a Al2O3) and secondary targets (Mo, Pd, Zn, CsI, Co a Zr); Si(Li) detector with Peltier cooling, resolution <160 eV for Mn K-α; sample chamber flushed with He. The instrument allows nondestructive analysis of solid, liquid, and paste samples; quantitative analysis of soils, geological materials, coal, ashes, fly ashes, metal bearing materials, dusts on filters.
Sample preparation device:
- gas fusion machine FLUXANA for preparation of borate pearls for XRF
- planetary mill FRITSCH pulverisette 7, milling materials - agate and tungsten carbide
Laboratory of scanning electron microscopy:
Scanning electron microscopy with X-ray spectrometer EDAX capable of chemical analysis with a detectable range from C – U. The instrument is equipped with tungsten electron gun, and secondary electrons and back scattered electrons detectors.
Resolution of the microscope is 3,5 nm at 30 kV, 25 nm at 1 kV.
Sample preparation device:
- friction saw Leco LSM 175
- plate polisher Leco SPECTRUM SYSTEM 1000
- device for surface sputtering with metal and carbon POLARON SC 7640
Elemental carbon and nitrogen analysis
MULTI N/C 3100 (Analytik Jena)
Analyzer enabling determination of total carbon (TC), total and dissolved organic carbon (TOC and DOC) and total nitrogen bound (TNb) in waters and water extracts. The measurement is performed after thermocatalytic decomposition in presence of special catalyst.
Combustion system of external furnace allows in combination with multi N/C 3100 detemination of TC and TOC in solid samples in form of powders, pastes, gels, sludges, etc.
Friction-wear properties characterization
Testing device for friction composites I
- ambient temperature from -16 up to +30 °C
- humidity from 30 to 95 %
- possibility of spraying the friction surface with water or salt solutions Real-time measured parameters:
- disc temperature
- ambient temperature
- wheel rotation speed
- driving moment
- braking pressure
Testing device for friction composites II
- adjustable and measured parameters – same as for the device I
- flywheel (430 kg) simulates weight of automobile
- possibility of using braking pressure up to 80 bar
Sampling and sample adjustment:
Mechanical sample adjustment:
- jaw crusher TESTCHEM
- jaw crusher Retsch
- laboratory vibrating mill VM 4
- planetary ball mill Retsch PM 4
- device for cryomilling in liquid nitrogen SPEX 6850
- device for sieve analysis Retsch VE 1000
Sampling and emission measurements:
- measuring device TESTOVENT 4000
- measuring set BRIGON 1400
- measuring apparatus THERM 2256-1
- combined measuring probe (tempered) TESO
- probe (cooled) for isokinetic sampling