|Qualification Awarded||Bachelor degree, Bc.|
|Level of Qualification||First Cycle|
|Access to Further Studies||The graduates may continue in a Second cycle|
|Graduation Requirements||180 ECTS Credits, Final state examination, Bachelor thesis|
|Mode of Study||Full-time|
|Programme Director or Equivalent||Personal ID||Name|
|SZE75||Ing. Zbyszek Szeliga, Ph.D.|
|Course Structure Diagram with ECTS Credits||1. year / Winter semester||1. year / Summer semester|
|30 ECTS Credits||30 ECTS Credits|
|2. year / Winter semester||2. year / Summer semester|
|30 ECTS Credits||30 ECTS Credits|
|3. year / Winter semester||3. year / Summer semester|
|30 ECTS Credits||30 ECTS Credits|
|Specific Admission Requirements|
|Specific admission requirements are determined by the Dean of the faculty. For more information please click here.|
|Specific Arrangements for the Recognition of Prior Learning|
|Informal learning - max. 60% of credits gained in prior lifelong learning can be recognized, as determined by the Dean of the Faculty.|
|Qualification Requirements and Regulations|
|Finished secondary education with secondary school-leaving exam.|
|The Czech educational system is regulated by the Higher Education Act (Act 111/1998). Studies at VSB-TUO are regulated by the Statute of VSB – Technical University of Ostrava.|
|Profile of the Programme|
|The general objective of this programme is to educate graduates with the knowledge and skills to be able to solve problems of technical practice in the field of energy, ecology and environment. Specific objectives of this study programme can be summarized in the following points:
• The graduate will have the knowledge and skills equal to a bachelor's degree obtained in the study programme focused on energetics.
• The graduate will be well versed in the disciplines of theoretical foundations of energy engineering, acquire knowledge of hydromechanics and thermomechanics.
• Graduates will also gain knowledge of the basics of heat transfer, combustion and operation of power machines. With regard to the selected compulsory elective group of subjects, students will broaden their professional profile with knowledge in the fields of industrial energy, nuclear energy and operational measurement in energy or waste management, environmental impact of energy practice, ecology and alternative energy sources.
• In addition to the aforementioned knowledge in the field of energy, the graduate will also be familiar with the more general disciplines that will be part of the teaching in the first two years of study: mathematics, computer graphics, physics, solid mechanics, engineering materials and manufacturing technologies, electrical engineering.
• With the expected growth of technology-oriented companies in the region and the demand for technically educated specialists in the field of energy, the graduate will have a high chance of finding employment in the field.
The acquired knowledge and skills will enable the graduate to continue his / her studies in the follow-up Master's study programme Energy Machines and Equipment.|
|Key Learning Outcomes|
|Key Lerning Outcomes are Expressed in following Structure: Knowledge, Skills, General competencies |
|Students will acquire knowledge concerning the operation, construction and management of power equipment and units, both in the field of "large-scale" and industrial and municipal power engineering. Students will be knowledgeable especially about the problems of utilization of energy sources, their production and possibilities of transformation incl. heat transfer and combustion.
Students of the programme will also be knowledgeable about the links between society and energy practice, such as the importance of energy in our society, ensuring energy self-sufficiency, etc.
The students will also complete the required content of their studies at their discretion by choosing from compulsory elective (CE) courses, which are divided into two compulsory elective circuits (according to two compulsory elective SFE): .(i) Operation of power equipment and (ii) Environment conservation technology.
With regard to the selected compulsory elective group of subjects, students will broaden their professional profile with knowledge in the fields of industrial energy, nuclear energy and operational energy measurement or (ii) or waste management, environmental impact of energy practice, ecology and alternative energy sources. In addition to the aforementioned knowledge in the field of energy, the graduate will also be familiar with the more general disciplines that will be part of the programme in the first two years of study: mathematics, hydromechanics, thermomechanics, computer graphics, physics, solid mechanics, engineering materials and manufacturing technologies.
|Students will learn to use professional terminology and to process technical documentation in the field of power engineering. They will be able to read technical drawings, learn the principles of the main technical methods of the field (eg, performing energy balances, assessing the energy intensity of processes, etc.) and some of their basic variants can be used in practical contexts. They will be able to design, implement and evaluate energy works, including energy systems, and assess their efficiency. Graduates will also be able to present the results of energy measurements in the form of a technical report and to cooperate on innovative energy enterprises. The graduates will be able to perform basic diagnostic measurements of low power equipment, analyze the use of energy sources and perform basic calculations of nuclear power equipment based on the knowledge from compulsory elective courses in the Operation of Energy Equipment field. As a part of the compulsory elective courses of the Environmental Protection Technology course, graduates will have gained the ability to solve technical problems related to waste management and energy ecology. Furthermore, they will understand the impact of energy practice on the environment, including the ability to design alternative energy sources.|
|Graduates of the study programme are able
• to make independent and responsible decisions even in partially known contexts on the basis of a framework assignment
• to coordinate the team's activities and take responsibility for their results according to the framework assignment and allocated resources
• Include ethical thinking in problem solving
• Communicate comprehensibly and convincingly to professionals and lay people about the nature of professional problems and their own opinion on their solution
• use their professional knowledge, professional skills and general competence in at least one foreign language
• independently acquire further professional knowledge, skills and competences based primarily on practical experience and its evaluation, but also by independent study of theoretical knowledge of the field.
|Occupational Profiles of Graduates with Examples|
|Graduates will be able to work in various jobs in the field of energy.
Within the compulsory elective circuit Operation of Energy Equipment, graduates will find employment in power plants and heating plants, in energy departments in all types of industrial enterprises, in transport organizations and in the non-manufacturing sector, and also in state administration departments. Also in design offices of power distribution, heat supply systems and treatment and waste water treatment plants.
Thanks to their acquired technical knowledge, graduates will find employment in the departments of creation and protection of the environment in all types of industrial, chemical and energy enterprises and organizations dealing with waste management and monitoring and evaluation of the state of the environment. They will also find employment in state administration departments, for example as state authority inspectors.
Specifically, a graduate can work in practice as:
• Operations and design worker in power plants and heating plants or in energy and environmental departments in all types of industrial enterprises, transport organizations and in the non-production field incl. state administration,
• computer engineer and designer in power plants and companies,
• creative worker in design studios focusing on energy,
• inspection and testing technician of power equipment,
• Energy Audit Officer
• a worker holding lower management positions in energy companies.|
|Examination Regulations, Assessment and Grading|
|Examination regulations, assesment and grading are described in the Study and Examination Rules.|
|Course block: Compulsory - all courses are compulsory.|
|Course block: Choice-compulsory - student has to choose at least one course from the list of courses.|
|Course block: Optional - student can choose any course from the list of courses.|
|IMPORTANT: Student has to select so many courses to reach 30 ECTS credits per semester. Rules in detail and convenient selection of courses can be consulted with the programmme director. |
Bellow stated courses are assigned for the degree studies only. Students coming to VSB-TUO for an exchange stay must select courses from the List of courses for exchange students.