Fraunhofer Innovation Platform for Applied Artificial Intelligence for Materials & Manufacturing at VSB – Technical University of Ostrava
Fraunhofer Innovation Platforms are set up as long-term collaborations between Fraunhofer Institutes and universities or non-commercial research organisations around the world. With an initial term of five years, a FIP fosters the exchange of knowledge as well as the valorisation, transfer and commercialisation of scientific research output.
In June 2021, VSB – Technical University of Ostrava (VSB-TUO) and the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft, through its institutes Fraunhofer IWU and Fraunhofer ICT, formed the Fraunhofer Innovation Platform for Applied Artificial Intelligence for Materials and Manufacturing at VSB – Technical University of Ostrava (FIP-AI@VSB-TUO), the only FIP in the Czech Republic. The collaborating partners research and develop the great potential of energy management technologies, artificial intelligence (AI) and intelligent production in industry. The FIP-AI@VSB-TUO provides a strong management and brings together a research team for:
- the performance of excellent applied research in higher TRL levels supported by strong publicly funded precompetitive research,
- technology transfer into industrial applications for industrial customers,
- acquiring research projects from industry,
- efficient commercialisation of research results.
The FIP-AI@VSB-TUO builds on over five years of successful collaboration between the Fraunhofer Institute for Machine Tools and Forming Technology IWU, the Fraunhofer Institute for Chemical Technology ICT and VSB – Technical University of Ostrava (VSB-TUO).
The objective of the cooperation is to research and develop:
- Digital solutions for production
- Optimised production technologies
- Innovative thermal energy storage systems for industrial applications
- Modular concepts for energy storage
- Heat recovery systems
- Integration in process chains
- Further developed and highly specialised AI applications.