The Scientific Board is an academic body of the University which discusses important documents predominantly on scientific, research, and other creative activities. Its operation and scope are set out in § 11 and 12 of the Higher Education Act, and its operation is regulated by the Rules of Procedure of the Scientific Board of VSB - Technical University Ostrava. The Chairman of the Scientific Board is the Rector, who also appoints and dismisses its members. These members are the foremost representatives of the fields in which VSB-TUO undertakes education, scientific research, development, and innovation, artistic or other creative activities.
The Scientific Board shall, amongst other things:
- discuss the draft strategic plan for the education, and scientific research, development and innovation, artistic or other creative activities of VSB-TUO, and annually the Implementation of the Strategic Plan of VSB-TUO,
- approve, on the Rector’s proposal, the intention to apply for institutional accreditation for an area of education and for the extension of institutional accreditation for other areas of education,
- approve, on the Rector's proposal, the intention to relinquish institutional accreditation, the intention to cancel a study programme and the intention to rescind accreditation of associate professorship or professorship appointments,
- discuss, on the Rector's proposal, the draft rules of the system of quality assurance of educational, creative and related activities and the internal evaluation of the quality of educational, creative and related activities before submitting the proposal to the Academic Senate of VSB-TUO,
- discuss the Rector's intention to appoint (and dismiss) members of the Internal Evaluation Board,
- discuss the draft report on the internal evaluation of the quality of the educational, creative, and related activities of VSB-TUO presented by the Chairman of the Internal Evaluation Board before submitting the proposal to the Academic Senate of VSB-TUO,
- discuss the draft Annual Report on the activities of VSB-TUO before presenting it to the Academic Senate of VSB-TUO,
- exercise competence in the professorship appointment procedure,
- on the Rector's proposal, award the honorary academic title of doctor honoris causa for merit in the development of science to eminent figures not related to VSB-Technical University of Ostrava,
- propose awarding the Medal of Georgius Agricola for significant contributions to teaching and scientific activities.