|Course Unit Code||636-0805/02|
|Number of ECTS Credits Allocated||6 ECTS credits|
|Type of Course Unit *||Compulsory|
|Level of Course Unit *||Second Cycle|
|Year of Study *|
|Semester when the Course Unit is delivered||Summer Semester|
|Mode of Delivery||Face-to-face|
|Language of Instruction||Czech, English|
|Prerequisites and Co-Requisites ||Course succeeds to compulsory courses of previous semester|
|Name of Lecturer(s)||Personal ID||Name|
|LAS40||doc. Ing. Stanislav Lasek, Ph.D.|
|Corrosion causes the undesirable changes and degradation of materials
(products, structures, devices) mainly by electrochemical reactions. The study
of corrosion has complex nature and follows the students´ previous knowledge of
chemistry, physics (thermodynamics and kinetics), materials science and
technology. In this subject the student gains theoretical as well as practical
knowledge of corrosion processes and protection methods, especially under
atmospheric conditions and water environments. The attention is also paid to
the localized types of corrosion: pitting, crevice, intergranular, stress
corrosion cracking and corrosion fatigue. In chemical corrosion, the specific
types of corrosion in gases at higher temperatures, including destruction by
hydrogen. The study of corrosion protection is aimed at materials selection
with respect to environment severity, at surface treatment, electric (cathodic)
protection, inhibitors and structure design. The student is also learn from
standard methods of testing and evaluation of material resistance to corrosion.
|Learning Outcomes of the Course Unit|
|The ability to apply, combine and integrate the knowledge of scientific and technical subjects it the complex field corrosion and protection of materials. Extend and intensify the knowledge from the subject basis of metals corrosion. To recognize and use the method of corrosion protection, mainly by material selection and surface treatment, including advanced technologies. Gain the information of testing,
monitoring and evaluation of corrosion and its protection.
- Review of key terminology and knowledge from the course "basics of metal corrosion",influence of corrosion on the durability and reliability of products and equipment, economic and environmental concerns.
- Electrochemical corrosion of metallic materials, the theory of coupled reactions, polarization and depolarization processes, internal and external factors in the corrosion of materials, corrosion diagrams.
- Corrosion and corrosion protection of technically important metals and alloys (Fe, Ni, Cu, Al, Mg, Ti), E-pH diagrams, corrosion rate, metallographic evaluation of corrosion attack.
- Creating and applying metallic coatings, electrochemical plating, diffusion
- Cathodic protection, the issue of protection of storage devices (pipes), stray currents; isolation.
- Influence of environment on the degradation of plastics (water absorption, oxidation, embrittlement, chemical reactions).
- Corrosion of concrete, basic types, corrosion of steel reinforcement in concrete, protection of constructions.
- Technology of protective coating systems, evaluating their properties.
- Chemical corrosion in special environments (organic liquids), the oxidation in gases at higher temperature and corrosion-resistant (refractory) materials, the effects of reducing atmospheres, hydrogen embrittlement and cracking.
- Thermal spraying and their industrial applications, principles, additional materials, equipment, properties and testing of coatings, coating thickness determination.
- Modern technology, application of protective coatings - PVD, CVD, plasma
supported methods, ion implantation, nanotechnology.
- Testing of corrosion protection according to ISO, EN, ASTM, selected methods.
- Operational tests and monitoring of corrosion, direct and indirect methods,
non-destructive testing, examples of damaged equipment, knowledge and experience from practice.
- Use standards, tables, spreadsheets, databases and computer programs for solving corrosion problems and corrosion protection.
- Introduction, literature, work safety in the laboratory corrosion.
- Basics of electrochemistry: electrode potential, Faraday's law - theory,
- E-pH diagrams (Pourbaix) - calculation, design examples. Entering seminary
- Determination of corrosion rate (Zn), volume of released hydrogen .
- Influence of some factors on the size of the active aluminum surface with protective layer.
- Corrosion inhibitors, determination of effective inhibitors. Exposure tests salt spray test.
- Galvanic plating - nickel coating, measurement of thickness.
- Paints and their testing systems. Selected tests of corrosion protection quality .
- Electrochemical methods of corrosion testing, measurement and evaluation of polarization curves.
- Local corrosion types: pitting, and crevice corrosion, stress corrosion cracking - experimental work.
- Intergranular corrosion: exposition, immersion and electrochemical tests (EPR).
- Films and videos with the issue of corrosion and corrosion protection
- Presentation of seminar papers.
- Credite exercise
|Recommended or Required Reading|
|1. Uhlig, H.H.: Corrosion and Corrosion Control. A Wiley-Interscience Pub. New York, 1985, 441 p.
2. Groysman A.: Corrosion for Everybody. Springer, 2010, 368 p.
3. Číhal,V.: Intergranular corrosion of steels and alloys. ELSEVIER,
|1. Bartoníček,R. a kol.: Koroze a protikorozní ochrana, ACADEMIA, Praha 1966.
2. Černý,M. a kol.: Korozní vlastnosti kovových konstrukčních materiálů,
SNTL, Praha 1984, 264 s.
3. Číhal, V.: Korozivzdorné oceli a slitiny. ACADEMIA – ČMT, Praha 1999, 437 s
4. Mohyla M.: Technologie povrchových úprav kovů. FS VŠB-TU Ostrava, 1995, 150 s.
|1. Marcus P., Oudar J.: Corrosions mechanisms in theory and practice. Marcel Dekker, Basel, New York, 1995, 641 p.
2. Parkins, R. N.: Corrosion Processes. Applied Science Publishers Ltd. Barking, Essex.1982
3. Lacombe, P., Baroux, B., Beranger, G.: Stainless Steels, Les Editions
de Physique Les Ulis, 1993.
|1. Kreibich V., Hoch K.: Koroze a technologie povrchových úprav. Skripta FS ČVUT Praha, 1984, 270 s.
2. Bartoníček, R.: Navrhování protikorozní ochrany. SNTL, Praha 1980
3. Číhal,V.: Mezikrystalová koroze ocelí a slitin. SNTL, Praha, 1984, 355 s.
4. Doležel, B.: Odolnost plastů a pryží. SNT"L, Praha, 1981.
|Planned learning activities and teaching methods|
|Lectures, Tutorials, Experimental work in labs|
|Assesment methods and criteria|
|Tasks are not Defined|