|Course Unit Code||635-3005/02|
|Number of ECTS Credits Allocated||6 ECTS credits|
|Type of Course Unit *||Compulsory|
|Level of Course Unit *||Second Cycle|
|Year of Study *|
|Semester when the Course Unit is delivered||Winter Semester|
|Mode of Delivery||Face-to-face|
|Language of Instruction||Czech, English|
|Prerequisites and Co-Requisites |
|Prerequisities||Course Unit Code||Course Unit Title|
|635-2001||Heat Transfer and Fluid Mechanics|
|Name of Lecturer(s)||Personal ID||Name|
|PR150||prof. Ing. Miroslav Příhoda, CSc.|
|VEL37||doc. Ing. Marek Velička, Ph.D.|
|Significance of heat exchangers. Recuperators: temperature profile across the exchanger heat transfer area, mean temperature difference, heat transfer coefficient, heat transfer rate, temperature of heat transfer surface, heat transfer effectiveness of parallel flow and counter-flow, hydraulic calculation. Metal and ceramic recuperator types. Heat pipes: working fluids, temperature distributions, heat transfer rate. Regenerators: Thermal calculation. Heat transfer quantity. Heat transfer coefficient. Hydraulic calculation. Regenerator types.|
|Learning Outcomes of the Course Unit|
|Student will be able:
- to categorize heat exchangers
- to solve power and hydraulic losses or recuperators and regenerators
- to illustrate ways of usage of thermal efficiency in determination of heat transfer surface of recuperator
- to determine conditions of application of recuperative and regenerative heat exchangers
|1. Classification of heat exchangers. The importance of heat exchangers, energy saving, fuel savings, the degree of recuperation, increasing combustion temperature, increase performance aggregate.
2. Thermal calculation of recuperator. The differential equation for the relationship between medium temperature and the size heat transfer surface. Solving equations for various cases boundary conditions.
3. Dependence of temperature difference between the hot and cold streams on the size of the heat transfer surface. Calculation of the mean temperature difference.
4. Heat transfer coefficient for the ceramic and metal recuperators. Influence of heat transfer coefficients on the overall heat transfer coefficient
5. Heat rate of recuperator. Temperature heat transfer surfaces in the consideration or neglecting the thermal resistence of heat transfer surfaces, a criteria expression.
6. The definition of heat exchanger effectiveness. Determination of heat exchanger effectiveness for the parallel and counterflow cases for different ratios between total heat capacities.
7. Hydraulic calculation. Pressure loss by friction, local, geometric. Pressure losses resulting from non-isothermal flow mediums.
8. Types of metal, ceramic and plastic heat exchangers. Operating conditions of heat exchangers.
9. Heat pipes: the working fluid, process temperature and radial heat flow.
10. Regenerators - Thermal calculation. The amount of heat transmitted. The coefficient of heat transfer. Hydraulic calculation. Pressure losses. Types of regenerators.
|Recommended or Required Reading|
| LIENHARD IV, J. H., LIENHARD V, J. H. A Heat Transfer Textbook. 4th ed. Cambridge: Phlogiston Press, 2012. http://web.mit.edu/lienhard/www/ahtt.html (Chapter 3).|
| PŘÍHODA, M., HAŠEK, P. Hutnické pece. 2. vyd. Ostrava: VŠB, 1987.|
| KUPPAN, T. Heat Exchanger Design Handbook. New York: Marcel Dekker, 2000. ISBN 0-8247-9787-6.
 HEWITT, G. F. Heat Exchanger Design Handbook 2008. New York: Begell House, 2009. ISBN 1567002595.
 WANG, L. SUNDÉN, B., MANGLIK, R. M. Plate Heat Exchangers: Design, Applications and Performance. Southampton: WIT Press, 2007. ISBN 185312737X.
|Není žádná doporučená literatura.|
|Planned learning activities and teaching methods|
|Lectures, Tutorials, Project work|
|Assesment methods and criteria|
|Tasks are not Defined|